View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Behaving_badly
ss.org Regular

Behaving_badly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
to play the devil's advocate to a small degree an explorer's specs on paper (minus the pickups if it comes with the ceramic mag humbuckers) would lead to it being a potentially great jazz guitar as far as solid bodied electrics go. a simple string change and a possible pickup swap will get you a lot closer to sounding more "authentic" AND you know your explorer's quirks and don't have to adjust to a new instrument. If I were in a similar position this would be the route I'd probably take as being in school would mean any money would be at a high premium and spending it on something I wouldn't technically need would be an ill advised idea
Yeah, i love my explorer to death but the biggest problem is that it is SO hard to carry to and from class too, the case is quite cumbersome. But you're right about a pickup switch could make it a nice jazz guitar. I can get pretty good tones out of it already but issues like the shape and weight makes me unsure of how much I want to keep this guitar.

I keep hearing good things about the PRS SE and I'm really leaning towards it at the moment, I was thinking of getting a Steinberger Spirit but the PRS SE has got lots of good reviews.
Behaving_badly is offline   Reply With Quote