View Single Post
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrobedone View Post
I never did a side by side comparison but I owned both the 5150 II and the Peavey Ultra Plus. I believe they both sounded great, but they were very noisy. I had reliability issues with both of them. The Ultra Plus has more options (half power on the Ultra Plus 120, etc). I think they sound similar - beyond saturated, tear your face off tone, but a little mushy when cranked. I'd go with the Ultra Plus and pedals (as long as it's about $300-400 worth of pedals, and not 3 danelectros or behringers). Also, if the 5150 is in pristine, collector's condition, I'd keep it. Keep in mind the used values - 5150s can go for about $650-1000, and Ultra Plus about $300-500.
People pay $1000 for a 5150?! You can get new 6505s for that. I'd say the range is closer to $500 to $800, with those going for $800 usually having a mod or two and some nice tubes. I bought my mint 5150 for $600 in the used section of Guitar Center.

The Ultra Plus wound up being the basis for the JSX, and it's a very solid amp on its own. While it doesn't have that "5150 sound" that's become so popular it's a great high gain amp, throw a boost in front and you can get some mean high gain tones that stay pretty tight. The cab will also be a big factor of course.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote