View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #333
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
So... it still sounds like primate politics are a better descriptor of what's actually happening. Primate politics is applicable in all cases, and doesn't require an explanation of why it gets put aside.

As soon as you start coming up with explanations for exceptions to morality, it's not an accurate theory or description of the real world. Having to layer on exception after exception takes it from parsimony to apologetics. It's the philosophical equivalent to retrograde motion. Only by using heliocentricism does one explain such motion better than possible with geocentrism.

There was better evidence for heliocentrism than geocentrism, even though geocentrism appealed greatly to humans' beliefs about the world and themselves. Similarly, there is better evidence for primate politics than morality, even though morality appeals greatly to humans' beliefs about the world and themselves.
Well I think we're well aware that humans are the exception to a lot of rules in terms of nature, so trying to pin things down isn't very easy at all. I think the key issue is we spend too much time thinking about it and in doing so getting muddled up with our own ideals, therefore losing sight of the migger picture which is ultimately what morality is as it does not simply apply to an individual. Seeing as humans live in a very divided lifestyle compared to animals, which don't have religion or lifestyle decisions that we do, we therefore pidgeon-hole ourselves into certain ways of thinking, clouding our judgement and ability to come up with a common ground.

Morality is an ideal, an ideal that some might say is out of reach. It reflects both our instinctual desire to create a better society. The 'no harm or loss' rule is pretty water tight, and there aren't many exceptions to it. I only accepted that there might be because I can't account for every single instance where a person might potentially wrong another.

It's a funny thing. I don't think there is a real right or wrong answer as long as individually we learn from each other in trying to find a common ground.

Also, where the hell did this thread go.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote