View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Metalus
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
You wont find these strings in a set usually. 7 string sets tend to be several gauges floppy on the low string, even in standard tuning. You'll need to get them individually, but it's not problem. Especially where you live you can order rarer gauges straight from their site. Here's what I use;
The 6 set
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings XL Nickel Round Wound EXL110 Regular Light 10-46

And the 66
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings All Electric String Singles XL Nickel Wound Singles
Thanks a bunch man. Imma look into ordering them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoFLCL View Post
I use a .68 elixir for drop A and it's perfect tension.

That being said, I recommend you check out Elixirs if you haven't.
Ive always heard good things about Elixirs. Ill look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdealin View Post
I also tune to Drop A. Ive found that with a normal scale (25.5 or so) 64-68 would work well. On an extended scale like a 27in then 60-64 would work.

I would buy a few individual strings of different gauge and try them out. It depends on how you pick and the action of your guitar.
I pick very light. I only pick hard when i do rhythms. Even so i consider myself a pretty light picker. Ill probably try a .60, .62 or .64

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
I would never use anything above a .060 for A personally. I've tried every gauge imaginable and have always found that the heavier you go the more mellow, round, and murky the tone becomes. Lighter gauges always sound tighter, crisper, clearer, and more aggressive by comparison. I also find things can sound bland when the tension is too high, as vibration is a key to tone IMO - within reason of course.

Since string vibration is relative to how hard you're picking, you can just adjust your technique slightly to become more efficient without having the strings be too floppy. That way you don't need to bash the hell out of the strings to get that huge attack.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I can't help it since I always see the "heavier the gauge the better" stuff thrown out there and my experience says the exact opposite. Whenever I'm working on a guitar that sounds dull or muddy, often simply going to a lighter gauge alleviates the problem.

The .59 right now just feels so loose that its bothering me. Imma try .60, .62 and .64 and see which one works better.

Thanks for the responses everybody
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote