Thread: Sweep I wrote
View Single Post
Unread 04-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
It's kinda a C# dim stuck on top of an F# dim. Arranged around a bit, I guess an Edim7 (E,G,Bb, Db) with an added m6 and 9th (C and F#) - Edim7m6/9, I guess, if you had to call it something.

The F# dim at the bottom is a good substitution for a B7 chord (it inverts to a Cdim7, which is essentially a B7 with the root moved up a half step, suggesting a B7b9 if you arpeggiate it over a B in the bass), so it could be used as that, with some rather tense upper extensions. Is this what you do with it? The C#dim at the top is a good substitution for an A7 (it inverts to a Bbdim7, which is essentially an A7b9), but with the F#dim in the bass you've got some VERY tense half-step intervals present - C and C# (major and minor 3rds), Bb and A (b9 and implied root)... Youd be looking at something like an A7b9#9 (as the m3 would have to be described as a 9th, not a 3rd), which is just a harmonic mess. It might work, but I'd want to hear it.

You use this over the B, then, in an E blues, right?

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote