View Single Post
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #74
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp88 View Post
Well....one of the best things about this site is that it is a virtual repository of knowledge, I see what you mean, but we shouldn't shun away new members because they forgot to ask the google.
Something worth considering here:

[AJAX] Helpful Answers - Post Rating System (plus many sub-features) - vBulletin.org Forum

I haven't tried it, but the "helpful" post could easily be tailored into "commonly asked question with a good answer".

Also keep in mind that while they were never really used as much as I'd hoped they would, Tags are a great way to narrow down searches as well:

Sevenstring.org - Tags

They're especially good for people noting that the default vB/MySQL search sucks, but take this example, where I search for a three-letter tag, KxK:

Sevenstring.org - Threads Tagged with kxk

Voila, shitloads of threads tagged with KxK. If people tag appropriately, and the members take a second or two to tag good threads with RELEVANT tags, that's another great way to find what you're looking for, and in a lot of cases can be better than a regular search. For example, a search on Ibanez might yield 5 billion threads that contain "better than an Ibanez" or "Looks like an Ibanez headstock", but a thread properly tagged WILL be about Ibanez.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote