View Single Post
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #74
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp88 View Post
Well....one of the best things about this site is that it is a virtual repository of knowledge, I see what you mean, but we shouldn't shun away new members because they forgot to ask the google.
Something worth considering here:

[AJAX] Helpful Answers - Post Rating System (plus many sub-features) - vBulletin.org Forum

I haven't tried it, but the "helpful" post could easily be tailored into "commonly asked question with a good answer".

Also keep in mind that while they were never really used as much as I'd hoped they would, Tags are a great way to narrow down searches as well:

Sevenstring.org - Tags

They're especially good for people noting that the default vB/MySQL search sucks, but take this example, where I search for a three-letter tag, KxK:

Sevenstring.org - Threads Tagged with kxk

Voila, shitloads of threads tagged with KxK. If people tag appropriately, and the members take a second or two to tag good threads with RELEVANT tags, that's another great way to find what you're looking for, and in a lot of cases can be better than a regular search. For example, a search on Ibanez might yield 5 billion threads that contain "better than an Ibanez" or "Looks like an Ibanez headstock", but a thread properly tagged WILL be about Ibanez.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote