View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff
A pickup with tons of bass and low mids designed for mahogany? I don't think so...

And so, what one would you choose between the Evolution and the JB? Assume that I play metal (rhythm and leads).
+1. I bought a 2027 with a TZ7 in the bridge, and while it gave a great clean tone and a great Godsmack-like rhythm tone through a Mark-style Mesa combo I was playing at the time, the leads were useless and there was little low-string clarity and edge.

Of the two, I'd call it an even split. The Evo7 was what I swapped out the TZ for, and I LOVED it in the bridge position. It gave a great "screaming" lead sound that, if you rolled the volume back a bit, actually gave a surprisingly good "southern rock" sort of tone. Plenty of brightness and clarity, great impact on the low strings, and a good amount of output.

That said, the JB has a lot of fans too, and is supposed to be heavenly in mahogany. Tonally, I think the bass in the JB is supposed to be a little rounder and woolier, but they're supposed to be reasonably similar.

Either way, though, you're talking about a pickup with clear treble, scooped lower mids, and strong upper mids - they'll both compliment mahogany wonderfully.

All that said, it depends what you want from it. Both pickups are probably slightly better suited to lead playing in mahogany, with a lot of upper mid sizzle to them - they're very harmonically "alive" in that sense. If this guitar will be used predominantly as a rhythm axe, you might want to look elsewhere - I'd suggest a Blaze bridge, or possibly a Blaze neck (supposed to be a killer bridge pickup for rhythm work - Zimbloth's got one on the way for a S7420FM as well, so you can get his thoughts in a week or so), or maybe a PAF - something with lower gain so you can run the preamp a bit harder without losing clarity.

For a neck pickup, it really depends what you do in the bridge. If you go with a JB or Evo7, then gain isn't a problem. The AN has a lot of fans and mates well to the Evo7, and the Jazz would be a similarly ideal pairing for the JB. If you go lower gain, then output becomes a problem, as you don't want something much hotter in the neck than the bridge. A Blaze neck or a PAF could be nice...

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote