View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Sentient
Metal Dog

Sentient is a splendid one to beholdSentient is a splendid one to beholdSentient is a splendid one to beholdSentient is a splendid one to beholdSentient is a splendid one to behold
Best six string recommendations for $450?

I'm looking to get the best six string I can with a budget of $450. Wanting the best quality I can find for that price, with a fixed bridge, 24 frets, and good pickups. I'd love to snag something with an EMG 81/85 setup (first choice), but I think I would equally enjoy something with a JB/59 combo in it.

Scale length needs to be no more than 25.5". I'm not opposed to less (24.75"), but I'm planning to use this guitar between D standard & C standard (possibly drop B), and I'm not sure how well a 24.75" scale does in such tunings. Feel free to enlighten me.

Body style and color, I'm not as particular on. I'm open to anything, but do tend to prefer a strat/rg shape, as opposed to others. Would also prefer a "color", as opposed to just "black". But again, these things are not as important as the quality & how the thing plays & sounds.

Figuring Ebay will give the most bang for the buck, I've been looking at axes like these....
  • LTD EC-500 (watching 1 currently, but expecting it to climb out of range)
  • Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (saw a black one go for $450. Would love red or white)
  • Schecter C-1 Blackjack
  • Epiphone Prophecy SG EX (Not sure about this one. Not crazy about SG's)
Saw a LTD FX-400 go for $450. Would be very pleased with one of those, if it just had two more frets. Might've even overlooked those two frets for that thing.

I'm open for other suggestions. Also interested if there's anything in particular I should avoid. Not wanting to make a mistake with $450.
Sentient is offline   Reply With Quote